Friday, July 17, 2009

Proverbs, Blogs and Personal Questions 4/9/2008

You know the old saying, "You can pick your friends but you can’t pick your family."? I was pondering the implications of this proverb the other day, after I heard a voice outside my office door. Obviously, in my case, and in the case of most people one is unable to pick their co-workers either. Hence, the wheels in my brain began to turn as I thought about other intangibles/tangibles that could be slated under this proverbial umbrella… For example:
Pick-able: Your nose (of course), your seat (at the movies and on your person), teeth, the toilet paper in your bathroom, and scabs (gross).

Unpick-able: Others’ reactions to your actions, the toilet paper in your friend’s bathroom, and mud butt.

I would like to address the reading of blogs. I have seen/heard word of people who post under their blog heading, "Who really reads these things?" To answer this ’hotly’ debated question, YES, there are individuals out there who do read blogs (whoa, what a concept). It’s kind of like asking, "Do you need food to sustain life?" Personally, there is a small portion of my day devoted to checking and reading the blogs of my friends on myspace. If you blog it, I will read it. ’Nuf said.

Finally, I want to briefly divulge some interesting personal information that is usually only addressed in those ’Get to Know Your Friends’ forwards. I usually make a half-assed attempt to fill these out and schlep them back to the original sender; but who really cares if I prefer chocolate over vanilla or coffee over cappuccino? Let’s get real here. How about something a tad on attention-grabbing side, for example; what about the question, "What’s a random thing you do when no one is looking?" Or, "How much would someone have to pay you in order for you to streak through a park naked?"

I bring this to light because yours truly was on the verge of being busted this morning in reference to my first question. I usually listen to some crazy, bass-laden DJ mix on my iPod while I’m making my way from the bus stop to the 7th floor of Vilas Hall. Between these two points is a lift on the elevator which takes roughly 30 seconds of the journey; and often, I fly solo. So what do I do? As soon as the elevator doors close, I commence into a series of dance moves that more than likely resembles a cross between those of Elaine Benes and Napoleon Dynamite.

This morning was no different, except for the fact that once I was in my own private dance club the elevator doors started to open and who was standing there but none other than the Big Kahuna of the office. My face must’ve been the color of black cherry kool-aid because he flashed me a smirk and asked what I was listening to. At least he wasn’t privy to my ’hot’ dance moves; shit, I don’t even want to surmise what flavor of kool-aid my face would’ve turned then. Close call…

To answer the second question, I have no idea. It’s just a question I pulled out of my ass while I was typing. Although I would be curious as to what my friends would say if I asked them about streaking through the park naked. I’m sure some of them would do it for the pure thrill on a dare. How about you?

Final thoughts… Crap, I forgot to mention the UWDDS story (I’ll save that for a later blog)!!! I’m glad I found the culprit behind the Zippo lighter… Does anyone still eat Fruity Pebbles???

No comments:

Post a Comment