Friday, July 17, 2009

Miller Time, Smoking and Email 3/31/2008

Over the weekend I went ahead and toured the Miller Brewery. I’ve toured breweries before and they’re pretty much all the same – tour the plant, learn how beer is made and packaged, and of course, the free samples (the best part in my opinion… Well, perhaps this case is an exception). The Miller Brewery was no different, however, I’ve never before viewed a ’movie’ clip that was as laden with product propaganda as the one the guides forced us to watch for Miller. I should’ve counted how many times the phrase "Miller Time" was repeated; as I’m sure if you turned this into a drinking game you’d be smashed within 10 minutes, puke, or both.

On Smoking.
I went outside today to partake in my ’dirty’ habit of smoking. Some of you may say to yourself, "I thought she quit." Well, I relapsed. While I was outside, I was thinking about the people that I work with who complain about the smokers who ride the elevator. They say things like, "Oh my god, it stinks, there must have been a smoker in here." I, being the conscious smoker that I am, do not ride the elevator after sucking down a tobacco product. I always use the stairs for fear some non-smoker would have to smell my after smoke. I also take the extra step to stop on 6th to wash my hands afterward before returning to the 7th floor. Because smoking is, that’s right, dirty.

After some serious pondering, I thought to myself, "Why in the hell do I do this????" The bottom line I’m guessing is that I don’t want to piss people off or make them uncomfortable. This is wrong. People piss me off and make me uncomfortable everyday. Shouldn’t I return the favor – adding my 2 cents of malicious behavior to the world???? I should because there are dirtier habits than smoking and I loathe the fact that smoking has been labeled ’dirty’.
It all happened so fast too. Overnight smoking became BAD. Ok, ok. I know. Smoking is not at all like eating your broccoli or taking a daily multivitamin. It does cause cancer and yes, I will admit that when I wasn’t smoking I thought the smell was pretty rancid. But come on people! Just because someone smokes does not make them an awful person and it by no means gives you the automatic right to harass them.

This is where I would pay big money for a sixth sense so that every time I was harassed I could come back with my own set of daggers. For example;
"Thanks for getting behind the wheel the other night after sucking down 3 martini’s at the bar ass hole!"
OR
"Thanks for perpetuating domestic violence by beating the shit out of your wife and kids, you bastard!"
OR
"Please, I’m begging you, take off that repulsive sweater! It’s hurting my eyes!"
Fine. So number three really doesn’t apply at all to the topic at hand, but I wanted to say it anyway…

Thoughts about email.
Remember when it was ’cool’ to have a gmail account because you had to be invited? Now everyone has gmail. If you don’t have a gmail account, you’re lacking a certain level of trend savvy. I’m sure there are those individuals out there who would frown upon a yahoo account, "Oh my god, a yahoo account? Becky, that’s about as outdated as linebacker shoulder pads in a blazer. Wake up and get yourself a gmail account before I slap you!"

If you’re like me, you have several email addresses because you’ve accumulated them over the years. I have a total of six email addresses; 3 for work, one for UW, a yahoo and gmail. I used to have a hotmail account but I let that lapse. Now I’m sure whoever reads my blog can top that number; "Well, I have EIGHT email addresses." You know what, quite honestly, I don’t really give a f*ck. I just needed one final blog topic and email came to mind.

Final thoughts… I hate blanket binding, John Irving is a pretty good author, and, as per usual I need another Diet Coke…

No comments:

Post a Comment